Charles Darwin University

CDU eSpace
Institutional Repository

 
CDU Staff and Student only
 

A preliminary investigation into the history of the old fort at Maubara

Farram, Steven (2012). A preliminary investigation into the history of the old fort at Maubara. In: Leach, Michael, Canas Mendes, Nuno, da Silva, Antero B., Boughton, Bob and da Costa Ximenes, Alarico Communicating New Research on Timor-Leste, Centro Foramacao Joao Paulo II, Comoro, Dili, Timor-Leste, 30 June - 1 July 2011.

Document type: Conference Paper

IRMA ID 82056760xPUB121
Author Farram, Steven
Title A preliminary investigation into the history of the old fort at Maubara
Conference Name Communicating New Research on Timor-Leste
Conference Location Centro Foramacao Joao Paulo II, Comoro, Dili, Timor-Leste
Conference Dates 30 June - 1 July 2011
Conference Publication Title Peskiza foun kona ba Timor-Leste: New research on Timor-Leste: proceedings of the Timor-Leste Studies Association Conference
Editor Leach, Michael
Canas Mendes, Nuno
da Silva, Antero B.
Boughton, Bob
da Costa Ximenes, Alarico
Place of Publication Acton, ACT, Australia
Publisher Timor-Leste Studies Association and Swinburne University of Technology
Publication Year 2012
Volume Number 1
ISSN 978-0-85590-832-4   (check CDU catalogue  open catalogue search in new window)
Start Page 194
End Page 198
Total Pages 5
HERDC Category E1 - Conference Publication (DIISR)
Abstract There are a number of forts on Timor built by the European contestants for colonial control of the island; the Dutch, who prevailed in the western half, and the Portuguese, who came to control the eastern half of the island. The Portuguese had been active in Timor since the sixteenth century and retained a presence there until 1975. Such a long presence makes it easy to overlook the fact that the present borders on Timor were only formalised in 1916, and until at least the mid-nineteenth century, the Dutch and Portuguese were actively campaigning for territorial control. One result of this rivalry is that one of the best-known forts in the former Portuguese -controlled areas, the Maubara fort, initially completed in 1760, was originally built by the Dutch. To date, the fort has received little attention from researchers. This paper is a preliminary attempt to alter that situation and examines the history of the Dutch claim to Maubara; the circumstances surrounding the erection of the fort; and the reasons for its abandonment by the Dutch to the Portuguese in 1861.
 
Versions
Version Filter Type
Access Statistics: 37 Abstract Views  -  Detailed Statistics
Created: Fri, 17 Jan 2014, 00:18:24 CST